Saturday, May 5, 2007

Why vs. How

I've started reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money - That The Poor and Middle Class Do Not! by Robert T. Kiyosaki with Sharon L. Lechter, C.P.A.
I've only made it to page 17. But I've already learned a valuable lesson.
The question to ask isn't "Why?," it's "How?"
I often ask "why" in an effort to get information to solve a problem. That's all well and good. But I shouldn't stop there.
So often I don't even ask "why"; I just take for granted that I can't change something.
Even if it ends up that I can't change something after all, I should be asking "how" I can change it anyway. As Kiyosaki's rich father says, asking "how" exercises your brain and makes it stronger. Your brain is better off for it. And most likely, you'll be able to find out a "how" you didn't think of before.

No comments: